VSS Name: Dark Emerald City
Domain Code: WA-073-D VSS Boundaries: King County
VST Name: Joseph Narvaez-Jensen
VST Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Venue Discussion List: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/seattle-codx-list
Discord: To join, please e-mail email@example.com (local venue players only)
City Type: Compact Hierarchy
Templates Allowed: All
- Awakening: Historically Vashon Island
- Beast: Grouped in pockets around the city, Apex focal point is SoDo.
- Changelings: Everything from 99 HWY west to the water, from Greenwood (including Carkeek Park) to Upper Queen Anne.
- Forsaken: Concentrated in the area surrounding Tiger Mountain, including Issaquah.
- Vampires: No formal court exists; any current vampires are keeping to themselves.
Theme: What Does It Mean To Survive?
Setting: Chronicles of Darkness 2.0 God Machine Chronicle
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” Carl Sagan
The city operates under a Compact Hierarchy, lead by the Lost. Due to the fallout of the 10 Second War, many of the ghouls, kindred, wolf-blooded, etc. have built a shadow network of loose cooperation while remaining independent, but their resources are stretched the limits.
The Emerald City. A city of duality, of bleeding edge technology built upon the historic. While the occasional grabs for specific resources left marks of minor skirmishes among city’s history, there was never any major conflicts among the factions until Christmas season 2012.
The call went out, and many answered.
Among the Beasts, many were led by whispers believed to be from the Dark Mother to fight the Unchained, the main hold out: the Apex Primordial of the city.
Among the Forsaken, never numerous even on the edges, the leadership directed all to take up arms. Most heeded the call to protect Gaia and went with hope in their hearts.
Among the Lost, most stayed with the exception of the Summer Court. All but the lowest of the Summer Courtiers went, either the challenge to great an enticement to pass, or inspired by the nobility of purpose conveyed by the King.
Among the Mages, a lone cabal remained, with the mission of protecting the city until the others returned.
Among the Vampires, caught up in their own games of politics and intrigue, few, if any, left. The standout wasa lineage of Hollow Mekhet, who believed an answer to their condition could be found among the works of the Nephilim.
Only one soul returned with a warning of the chaos that was about to hit. Appearing in the mirrors and reflective glass all over the city to be seen by any in possession of the unseen sense merit or a supernatural being the shadow of the Hollow lineage progenitor sent a warning, “DECEIVED!” and then the 10 Second War struck.
The most populous at the time, and the hardest hit, were the Vampires, caught completely unaware and unconcerned. The VII and Strix made short work of the survivors, rendering them all but extinct. Next were the Changelings. The sudden disappearance of so many left hollows, havens, and hedge gates undefended and open to the corruption of Dark Shallows; only the strength of the current Summer Queen, Maka Albright, prevented the complete collapse of the Freehold, though its territory was greatly reduced. The cabal of mages that stayed behind quickly became the strongest hold out, having been prepared and highly capable, yet the tactics used to survive slowly wore down the groups Wisdom, and one night they disappeared, the event marked by a metaphysical explosion on Mercer Island. With most of the Forsaken gone to war, the last few have kept a low profile, focusing what little power they have on protecting the loci just north of Mirrormont. For the remaining Beasts, a partner pair of heros took out many of the remaining Children, but recently seemed to have moved on.
In the mundane world Seattle seems as if it came out of the chaos affecting the world post the 10 Second War no worse for wear: a bastion of progressive ideology. The fact is, that progressiveness is only for those that can afford it. The City Council pays lip service to ideas like rent control and social safety net programs but while these initiatives are debated and move forward with all the speed of a slug uphill in the cold, others barely even make into print before being passed forcing locals out of their homes in districts like Pioneer Square, Beacon Hill, and Capitol Hill all under the cover of a historic revival push but the homeless are slowly moved out, those arrested for criminal activity find themselves convinced with an efficiency only seen on TV.
The only cracks seen over the years is the a few corruption scandals and multiple ongoing lawsuits about housing rights and renter rights. No fewer than a dozen officials have been from their positions, this has included everything from City Councils of Seattle, even Board of Education members, but the latest and ongoing is over the Port Commissioner, Janelle Zarkova. The embattled commissioner is fighting charges of campaign finance violations taken from a PAC put together by a Union of Longshoremen.
For mundane history we will be using the Seattle Times local history page and Wikipedia's Timeline of Seattle.
NOTE: History Prior to 1850 will be added once confirmation of accuracy Duwamish history is established.
KEY: All Awakened Beast Forsaken Kindred Lost
Settlers, led by Arthur Denny, arrive at Alki Point. Party secretly filled with Forsaken and Lost members
Attacks by western Pure weaken Forsaken among the Duwamish tribes, leading to the acceptance of Point Elliott Treaty
Vampire-backed forces push the Forsaken to the Eastside as part of the Battle of Seattle, full court establish
Awakened announce their presence in the area with the formation of the Washington Territory University (today’s University of Washington)
Henry Atkins becomes Seattle's first mayor, secretly a Spring Fairest; he established the first freehold, Freehold of Emerald Desires
First full Goblin Market established
Brewmasters creates the Seattle Malting & Brewing Co.
"Heals The Weak" leads the opening of the Providence Hospital
Prominent members of Clan Daeva back the opening of Squire Opera House
An increase in nightmares afflict the city the week leading up to the Great Seattle Fire
Invictus-backed finance firms help to rebuild the city, thus solidifying the Kindred as the dominant supernatural power of the city
Frederick & Nelson opens, actually a cover for an expanded Goblin Market entrance
Goblin Market expands under the newly opened Pike Place Market
First Pentacle Consila established
Kindred invest in the expanding hotel industry, culminating in the Olympic Hotel
Free Council members help establish KOMO-AM radio
The Pentacle backs the deployment of electrical streetlights as part of an effort to increase the power of Hallows within various Sanctums
The Forsaken attempt to save the sacred loci on Denny Hill; this fails and the hill is leveled for development
To counter the loss of Denny Hill, efforts by the Storm Lords and Iron Master ensure the establishment of the Washington Park Arboretum
Fights over media control between the Invictus and Carthian Movements create multiple strikes, the largest being the American-Newspaper Guild vs the Post-Intelligencer
Iron Master invests in the creation of the Recreational Equipment Incorporated (REI) co-op
Nightmares increase among the disenfranchised, increasing racial tensions in the county
Multiple supernatural groups fight over media controls, resulting in multiple strikes all over the city
The World's Fair brings along a flood of Mages, turning them into the third-most significant supernatural power
Wolf-blooded kin among the indigenous people convince their non-kin brethren to take over Fort Lawton and, due to the 1865 treaty, are victorious in taking back the land in what is now Discovery Park
The Lost successfully counter the Kindred’s attempt to take over Pike Place Market
Forsaken finance the creation and opening of the Seattle Aquarium
A competition among Brewmasters gets out of hand and spills out into the public domain, resulting in the microbrew craze
An Apex Namtaru Predator disappears
Afflicted by an Apex Collector, three men attack the Wah Mee Club, killing thirteen
Storms ravage the Hisil, spilling over into the Material World, enhancing the devastation of the Puget Sound Inaugural Day storm
Benaroya Hall opens
A potential Primordial turns away from the hunger; in his insanity he kills the bus driver of Metro Bus 80, causing the bus to drive off of the Aurora Bridge
WTO riots; chaos reigned that night affecting all the supernatural groups, but the details are sketchy and uncertain
The Awakened, Lost, and Kindred struggle for control of the media, resulting in more strikes
A group of Ravagers get out of control during a Mardi Gras party in Pioneer Square, resulting in riots
The Pentacle ensures financial support for the Seattle Public Library and future expansion
The Ten Second War hits
Individual Game Components
- Action (combat and challenges) – 3
- Character Development (personal dilemmas and choices) – 4
- Darkness (corruption, fear and horror) – 3
- Death (Player Characters) (how often it is present) – 2
- Drama (ceremony and grand story) – 4
- Intrigue (politics and negotiation) – 3
- Manners (social etiquette and peer pressure) – 4
- Mystery (enigmas and investigation) – 4
1. Never present
2. Sometimes present
3. Often present
4. Usually present
5. Always present
- All Proxies require a sheet and are considered hard proxies
- Proxies for live games will only be accepted in the event a player is physically able to portray the proxied character
- Experience Point Awards
60% for live game attendance.
40% for downtown submissions, online supplemental actions, and/or other activities approved by the presiding Storyteller.
- The Discord Supplemental Online Game is for local characters and those characters will have full access on the server. A local is defined as those with local interest, expressed by either being on our VSS or have merits (excluding the effects of Fame) based in the city. Non-locals can partake but only at the sponsorship of a local and/or at presiding ST approval.
- All players must have a 'cheat sheet' of their character's powers and test pools, this need not be complicated and be as simple as book and page number for reference.
- Misunderstandings or divergent interpretations of rules/mechanics by players and storytellers is a normal occurrence over the course of game play.
- Players are encouraged to speak up should they have a disagreement.
- In scenes involving more than a single player and the storyteller, these discussions will be kept as short as due diligence allows for a ruling to be made in order to keep the scene moving.
- Once the scene is over, should disagreement remain the Storyteller and the player will step aside for an in depth discussion and should any modification to the scene be required, the Storyteller will promptly inform all those in the scene of those changes
- All players must have a ‘cheat sheet’ of their character’s powers and test pools, this need not be complicated. It can be as simple as book and page number for reference.
- The Changelings and Mages are the most populous splats
- Hunters numbers are increasing.
- Resources are at a premium and require serious investment to acquire and secure. This focus in on places of power, not places of safety. The enforcement is meant to be an IC one, not OOC; it's a matter of risk, not balance.
- Experience Per Month: 2xp per game and 1xp for monthly downtime activities (3/2 for AGR)